Importance Of Pediatric Dentistry For Kids
Children, as a result of the inevitable changes in their bodies, pass through, need health specialists to help them get through their developmental stage successfully. There are different stages in the development of the teeth and these come with their risks and precautions to be taken. Children need a specialist to look after their dental health. These specialists guide your children through their dental developmental stages and help them grow into healthy adults. The eruption of teeth above the gum-line starts at about six to seven months after birth. These erupted teeth are called milk teeth. These teeth without the proper care can be subjected to tooth decay which might, in turn, lead to intense pain. At the age of seven, the milk teeth start to fall off and are replaced by permanent teeth. As the name implies, permanent teeth have no natural replacement if broken or removed. The proper care of the milk and permanent teeth is a foundation for long-lasting dental health.
Dental health specialists for kids are called Pediatric Dentists. A pediatric dentist is a specialist trained to provide dental care for kids. Pediatric dentists work under a branch of dentistry called pediatric dentistry. This is the branch of dentistry that deals with dental care, management, and improvement of the dental health of infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatric dentists go through special training to meet the tailored needs of kids. They undergo about six years of training. Pediatric dentists are therefore well equipped and qualified to handle dental problems in children.
Common Dental Problems That Occur In Children
Even with milk teeth(temporary teeth), children still face the following dental problems:
- Bad Breath: Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is mostly caused by bacteria in the mouth. Bad breath can affect anyone regardless of age, but it is more common in kids. It is caused by bacteria in the mouth feeding off food particles in the mouth. In the process, these bacteria release hydrogen sulfide which causes a bad odor in the mouth. However, bad breath in children might be an indication of a deeper issue than bacteria. Online dental consultation with a pediatric dentist can help to ascertain the cause of bad breath in your kid.
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay is one of the most common tooth problems that occur. It occurs in both kids and adults. In infants with milk teeth, tooth decay might occur as a result of leftover milk in the mouth. Frequent contact with sugar from food and drinks can also lead to tooth decay. This is because bacteria in the mouth feed on the sugars, causing decay. In kids with permanent teeth, bacteria mixed with saliva and leftovers of sugary foods in the mouth can form dental plaque leading to tooth decay.
- Teeth Grinding: Teeth grinding, also known as Bruxism, is the frequent crunching or crushing of the upper teeth and the lower teeth together. In kids, this might result from bad habits, hyperactivity, or misalignment of the upper and lower teeth. It can lead to wear and tear of the milk teeth and cause muscular and dental pain. A dental consultation with a pediatric dentist can provide solutions as to how to curb this.
- Teeth Sensitivity: This occurs when hot or cold food or drinks cause irritation or discomfort to the teeth. This can occur in kids as their enamel is thinner than that of adults and can be worn down easily. Sensitive teeth might be an indication of a greater dental problem and must be checked in time.
- Gum Disease: This is the inflammation of the gum tissues caused by poor oral hygiene and the buildup of dental plaques. Also known as gingivitis, gum disease can cause bone damage and tooth loss. A dentist consultation with a pediatric dentist can help to prevent and control gum disease.
Importance Of Children’s Dentistry For Children.
The importance of pediatric dentistry for kids include:
- Pediatric dentists help to put preventive measures in place for kids.
- Repair of damaged, defective, and decayed teeth.
- Professional advice and counseling for the dental health of kids.
- Specialized oral health exams for kids.
- Early detection of dental defects and diseases.